Moving to Nevada: A guide to becoming a resident of the Silver State
Fleeing California or another high tax state? There are a lot of steps to making a clean break. We’re sharing tips and considerations, as well as resources to assist in setting up residency in Nevada and preparing for your move to Nevada.
If you choose to make Tahoe Beach Club your new home, you will become a resident of Douglas County. Tahoe Beach Club is located in Stateline, Nevada. Stateline is a CDP (census-designated place) located on the eastern shore of Lake Tahoe in Douglas County.
Important steps to becoming a Nevada Resident
- Consult your CPA or a local Nevada CPA (a list is provided below)
- Register your vehicle in Nevada, and obtain a Nevada Driver’s License. Learn more at Nevada DMV
- Register to vote in Nevada: Douglas County Voter Registration
- Set up forwarding mail to your Nevada address
- Find local care team: dentists, doctors, etc. in Nevada
- Maintain residency for 6+ months out of the year / spend the majority of your time in Nevada
Other considerations for Nevada Residency
- If you have school age children, they should attend school in Nevada
- Banks – it is suggested that you set up your main checking and savings accounts in Nevada. If you bank with a national bank, be sure to transfer your account to the branch closest to you, in Nevada.
- Be prepared for a residency audit if you are moving from a high-tax state (such as California). Be sure to speak with a qualified CPA to best plan for your move and establish domicile in Nevada.
- Dog license: Douglas County Ordinance Section 6.08.010 requires that all dogs four months of age and older must have a dog license issued by Douglas County and must be inoculated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian. The current license tag must be displayed on a collar worn around the dog’s neck. More info can be found here.
- File a Declaration of Homestead with the Douglas County Recorder’s Office. This protects your home from debt judgements against you for up to $605,000 of equity. Karen Ellison is the current elect for county recorder. Be sure to also send in the copy request form, so you have a copy of your declaration for your personal records. Form must be mailed, faxed, or brought to the Douglas County Recorder’s Office in Minden, NV.
Douglas County – Declaration of Homestead
Local Professionals in Nevada
Alling & Jillson Ltd. – Stateline, NV
James K. Burau Ltd. – Incline Village, NV
Forbush & Associates – Reno, NV
Ashley Quinn – Offices in Incline Village and Reno, NV
Nevada Domicile Requirements
For Current California Residents
Interested in becoming a resident of Nevada and Tahoe Beach Club? Learn more HERE.
*Please note, the information provided here is for general guidance on matters of interest only. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in the information contained on this page. Tahoe Beach Club is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. This page contains links to external websites that are not provided or maintained by or in any way affiliated with Tahoe Beach Club. Please note that Tahoe Beach Club does not guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of any information on these external websites.